The Driving force behind Stadi Fit Running Coaching is the belief that running should be practiced as a skill rather than something that we just naturally do right and with our own signature styles.
90% out of all recreational runners suffer from various injuries every year and there's a reason for it. Our lifestyle that involves a lot of sitting, changes the way our body is able to move and in most cases doesn't allow it to move in a way that it was designed to. Running being a highly monotonious motion, leaves the body really vulnerable to injuries if the movement is repeated time after time in a manner that is not loading up the body in a right way.
Technique / Skill
Stadi Fit Model
Technique & Skill
The Pose Running Method - Natural Running technique
Why do we need a technique?
The established opinion was that there's no running technique that suits everyone, and there are different requirements for different distances and speed, for runners of different ages and different physical abilities. In short, it's impossible to have a comprehensive holistic model of running technique for all.
This kind of philosophy leads to several negative consequences:
- It excludes the necessity to learn running technique as a skill from childhood and makes getting it right a matter of chance or luck.
- It removes running technique from the training process as an unnecessary component, not one that's related to it.
- It makes it impossible to evaluate running technique due to the absence of an established standard. This means errors are, by definition, a deviation from the standard. But the absence of any standard makes the evaluation, identification and correction of errors practically impossible and dependent only on someone's subjective understanding or perception of running technique. It also makes it impossible to develop running technique as a skill and fine- tune it further. This kind of situation would be completely unthinkable in any other sporting event like swimming, tennis and so on.
- Improper movement is the main cause of injuries in running. So the right technique will eliminate this cause of injuries.
- Technique improvement has a positive influence on overall racing performance.The Pose Method is a formalized running technique and allows any athlete to take their running to a higher level.
What is the Pose Method?
The essence of Pose Method is to use gravity as a major propulsive force and let the other forces assist it. It's well-known that gravity pulls a body straight down towards the Earth. The Pose Method's objective is to redirect gravity's downward movement into forward motion.
For this we must determine the position where the body starts falling forward. It happens at mid-stance when you're supporting yourself on one leg - we call this position the Running Pose. It creates an 'S' shape to the body, which enables you to utilize muscle elasticity.
In order to increase a free-falling effect at this point, only one action should be instigated: breaking contact of the support foot with the ground while falling forward, And the easiest way to do this is to pull the support foot from the ground up using the hamstring muscles. in this way, the running technique could be reduced to a very simple sequence: fall forward from the S- shaped Pose position until you lose support, then swap support to the other to begin failing again by pulling the foot from the ground with hamstring muscles. It's simply Pose-Fall-Pull.
So what do I gain from mastering the Pose Method?
1) Less Injuries
Less impact on knees, hips and spine
2) More Speed
Using the gravity as our major force instead of muscle strength will make you a better, faster and stronger runner
3) More results in less time spent running
Contrary to the traditional way of running, we concentrate on the quality rather than the quantity by getting rid of the "trash" kilometres and adding in technique and skill training
At Stadi Fit Health Center, our Coach and Personal Trainer Annamaaria Kangas is the leader of the running coaching team. Learn more about her here.
And more about our coaching packages here.